Monday, February 1, 2021

January 2021 Challenge: "Arbitrary Art" (Choosing 3 random colors from our palette, without looking, plus white if needed)




"Hi Skelly!" Acrylic 16"x20" by Paula Villanova
(Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Red Deep, Viridian Green, White) So...I thought I was being so smart by placing my paints in a kind of color wheel and thought I was picking in such a way that I would get the primary colors, but not even close. I decided to set up a subject that wouldn't require a lot of color with the art guy, a St. Michael carving from San Miguel de Allende, and Skelly. I don't paint Skelly enough anyway. (Full disclosure, I painted on a yellow ochre toned canvas).


"Tres Colores"10"x10" Acrylic by Page Pearson Railsback
Thalo Blue, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Orange, White 


"Tres Colores" (I see Page also named hers that!) by Kelley MacDonald
Acrylic on 12x12 Canvas
I had my grandson pick my color and he chose Napthol Red, Pthalo Blue and Lemon Yellow.  Amazing the sheer number of beautiful colors you can come up with this combo!


"Triple Threat" Oil 8"x8" by Margaret Farrell Bruno
(Gamblin Radiant Turquoise, Vasari Cad Red Light, Vasari Ruby Violet, White)
Somehow I left the Radiant Turquoise in my color wheel when blindly picking. A very hard color to darken with the two other colors I randomly picked. Fun challenge, though. 
I may do this challenge again as I still enjoyed it, but leave out any "Radiants".



"A New Day" (detail) Acrylic 12"x14" by Victoria Chesley Brega
“The first Sunrise after a very inspiring Inauguration Day, 
done per this months technical challenge, 
in a randomly chosen palette-
 Payne's Grey, Quinacridone Magenta, Naples Yellow 
and White"
 
 
After Van Gogh's "Woman at the Cafe'du Tambourin(Agostina Segatori)1887
 by Sally Dean
Pyrole red, ultramarine blue, indian yellow and white
16" x 20"
to watch a time lapse video of it being painted click here
 
 
 
"Three Cities in Three Days"
"Three Cities in Three Days" ink & watercolor using only three randomly chosen colors; cerulean, vermilion and sap green  by Jody Regan .
 Interesting exercise!  Sap green was the most warm, and could produce a "yellow"-ish tone relative to the other colors with some vermilion.  Fun.



      
































“True Love” 9x12 acrylic by Mary Sheehan Winn
I dumped my tubes of acrylic paint on the floor, 
closed my eyes and randomly chose three colors which, turned out to be 
Thalo Blue, light blue permanent and quinacridone magenta. 
These fabulous goats are at Taylor Bray Farm in Yarmouth. 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024 Challenge: "Space"

"Space And Time" 16x16 inches, mixed media on gallery wrapped canvas by Kelley Carey MacDonald This one has lots and lots of layer...